Re: Loss of Start Menu

        Looking in Debian, Sarge, Control Center...
                I think, you may have a put a checkmark into the box in
Desktop -> Panels -> Appearance -> Transparency
and may have taken the 'x' out of 'Enable background image'... This will
make your taskbar blend in with background... in Debian, I'm not sure if
this feature is available for the os that you are using...
        That's all I can think of that might help, besides what Modestas said...
Just a thought... hope it helps...