nVidia mismatch (2)

Title: nVidia mismatch (2)

Hi Florian:
In addition to info (previous mail) collected as you suggested:

Sending from my provider (previous attempt apparently failed) while
receiving at my usual address. Writing from knoppix pivot-root install of
debian because my X system suddenly broken (mismatch of nvis kernel
module (1.0.8756) and X module version (1.0.7174) following apt-get
upgrade. I also lost address debian users. I took the opportunity to
upgrade from 2.6.15 without success (main contrib non-free present in
sources.list debian).

1) nvidia-installer --uninstall

2)apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-k7
installing 2.6.17-2-k7

3)reboot

4)m-a -i -prepare
installing headers and kbuild

5)m-a a-i nvidia

apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-$(uname -r) nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common
shows
n-vidia-kernel-2.6.17-2-k7 (1.0.8762-2+2.6.17-9)
nvidia-kernel-common (20051028+1 0)
nvidia-glx not installed and no candidate (I was unable to install it)

Because on running
#X
mismatch between nVidia module and X version was still the case, I did the following:

1) Added "unstable" to sources.list
2) # apt-get update
3) # m-a a-i nvidia
which reports that "installation of the nvidia-kernel source failed; maybe you have to add contrib non-free."

Actually contrib non-free were there.

I thought that previous installation with "m-a a-i nvidia" should be first removed before rebuilding the module with this command. However,
#apt-get --purge remove nvidia-kernel-2.6.17-2-k7
does not remove.

#apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-$(uname -r) nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common

reports the same status below for all three packages, except fo the presence ofr "unstable" candidate1.0.8776-2 for nvidia-glx in addition to 1.0.8756-4 0.

Hope you understand the origin of this mess.
Thanks
francesco