Re: [SOLVED] Define KDEHOME

On Monday 27 November 2006 00:00, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Sunday 26 November 2006 16:42, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 November 2006 16:11, Oliver Meißner-Knippschild wrote:
>
> Currently, I edit startke to set KDEHOME, KDEDIRS, etc, and it would be
> nice to move that stuff into a separate file so that I don't have to edit
> startkde each time I update. I build from KDE source rather than use the
> Debian packages, so perhaps that could make a difference.

My guess would be that this doesn't make any difference other than the
installation prefix.

> > > is only the startkde-environment using those scripts or does it
> > > contain system-wide scripts? When are those files in /usr/env sourced
> > > and by which processes would that be done?
> >
> > Only used by startkde.
> > Just search for "env", around line 160 in startkde
>
> This is executed *AFTER* KDEHOME is set in startkde. How can setting
> KDEHOME in an env/ directory work in that case?

Good point.
It won't create the directory structure in the script. I think it will still
be effective for all programs later on.

However, I think it could be further at the beginning of the script. Will try
to get someone from the core-devels to comment on this.

> > Since KDE can handle a list of prefix directories, it can also handle
> > env/ subdir in each of them. Can be used to do user specific extensions,
> > etc
>
> AFAICS the only prefix directories it looks in are the directories in the
> KDE executable path, but replacing the bin suffix with env.

True.
So all prefixes that are known at this time, meaning at least the installation
prefix and every prefix included in KDEDIRS defined prior elswhere.

Might be an idea to run it twice, though.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring