problems starting KDE after xorg update

I did an apt-get upgrade, upgrading both xserver-xorg (7.0-7.1) and kde
(3.5.4 to 3.5.5).  Following this, I had trouble starting the xserver,
which was fixed by updating my xorg.conf to use the new
/usr/share/fonts/X11... directories.

Now, I can start X with twm and kdm works fine, but once I start my kde
session (from "startkde" or kdm), kde spends a *really* long time at
"initializing system services", then eventually loads what looks like a
kde desktop with kicker running and everything, but the kmenu doesn't
respond to clicks and right-clicking the desktop does nothing.

Any ideas?

Dan

PS. I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, but I'll be checking it
regularly.