Re: New KDE (3.5.4) will break mouting of removeable devices

Miros/law Baran skrev:
You might find this astonishing and utterly surprising, but there are
situations that someone would be in need for a more fine-grained access
level to various resources of a machine shared by more than one user.

I understand how incredibly weird it might sound for you. But again,
it's still happening all around the world!

I don't find this surprising at all. In fact I was sure someone would come up with this counter argument.

Still, it's a problem for many users, so there ought to be a sollution.

Could there be an umbrella 'user is owner' group, that lets the user access all hardware?

Or maybe this could be fixed with scripts that automatically takes care of adding the appropriate groups. Such a script (or a different one) also needs to act when a new group is added or invented, like when you install network-manager and suddenly the 'owner user' also needs membership of the net-dev group.

There should be some way of ensuring that a particular user is always a member of certain groups of a certain category of groups.

Anders