Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 16:05:41 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

[...]

> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Did you have a look already at mozilla-plugin-vlc? It worked reasonably
> > well for me when I was still using mozilla.
>
> Yes, I have all the plugins installed but will check again to be sure.
> Guess what, aptitude said not installed. Went to install again and
> etch had 3 grave bugs and sid has a dependency on libsysfs1 for
> mozilla-plugin-vlc. Can't install libsysfs1 from sid unless it's in
> the new mirror honk which I can't get a gpg key to install using the
> instructions you gave me for marrilat a few days back.  tried
> everything from just honk to the complete http;// address. Any
> suggestions?

I think you are mixing up Sarge/Etch/Sid:

I did have etch in sources.list a few day back to install something-
forget what it was now. Have since commented it out, everything sid
except for security-stable/sarge.

Sarge (stable) has mozilla-plugin-vlc version 0.8.1.svn20050314-1sarge1
and libsysfs1 version 1.3.0-7.

Etch (testing) has libsysfs2 (2.0.0-6) and currently no version of
mozilla-plugin-vlc available.

Sid (unstable) has mozilla-plugin-vlc (0.8.5.debian-2) and libsysfs2
(2.0.0-7). I have this combination installed and I have not noticed any
problems with it. I also don't find any grave bugs listed for it. Maybe
you could post your /etc/apt/sources.list and the output of "apt-cache
policy mozilla-plugin-vlc" so that it is clear which version you are
trying to install.

Sounds like you have found what my problem is. Sources.list and policy
statement shown below:

As far as the "new mirror honk" is concerned: I have never heard of it.
If it is a normal Debian mirror then the normal Debian archive signing
key should be enough. If it provides additional packages then it also
should provide the signing key(s) for those. What is the URL of this
mirror?

The honk url is in my sources.list(last line) and came from a reference in
deb-users(june) in a post about the Marillat site going down and the new mirrors
to replace it. Also, it appears that svn? is coming in with security stable.
Whatever svn is. I now suspect that there is a problem using security stable
with sid distro. Have done so since day one on all distros.

--
Regards,
         Florian

lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ apt-cache policy mozilla-plugin-vlc
mozilla-plugin-vlc:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 0.8.5.debian-2
 Version table:
    0.8.5.debian-2 0
       500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
    0.8.1.svn20050314-1sarge1 0
       500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
lchata@DELLXPST450:~$
lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/testing-updates/
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-fr$
#deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
#deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb http://honk.sigxcpu.org/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/