Re: Virtual Desktops after Upgrade

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 16:58:57 -0500, Bruce DeGrasse wrote:
> I have searched and not found answers to my problems so need your help.
>
> 1. After a major update&upgrade I have lost the ability to have multiple
> virtual desktops.  Using Control Center->Desktop->Multiple desktops goes back
> to one after exiting.  I assume there is a  setup parameter someplace that is
> stopping this.  I would appreciate any help on this matter.
>
> 2.  At the same time I lost the ability to grab a Title Bar and move the
> application window.  I have also lost the ability to resize the application
> window.  Also help will be appreciated.
>
> My Gnome has multiple virtual desktops and moveable/changeable windows so it
> must be limited to KDE setup.
>
> Am Running SID.

KDE on Sid is currently undergoing the transition from 3.5.2 to 3.5.3.
Maybe you upgraded at a moment when your mirror offered a combination of
new and old packages which leads to problems. Upgrading again today
might be enough to solve the issue. If you want to compare packages,
here are the 3.5.3 ones that I have currently installed:

$ dpkg -l kde\* kwin | grep '^ii.*3\.5\.3'
ii  kdebase                       3.5.3-1        base components from the official KDE releas
ii  kdebase-bin                   3.5.3-1        core binaries for the KDE base module
ii  kdebase-data                  3.5.3-1        shared data files for the KDE base module
ii  kdebase-kio-plugins           3.5.3-1        core I/O slaves for KDE
ii  kdegraphics                   3.5.3-1        graphics apps from the official KDE release
ii  kdegraphics-kfile-plugins     3.5.3-1        KDE metainfo plugins for graphic files
ii  kdelibs                       3.5.3-1        core libraries from the official KDE release
ii  kdelibs-data                  3.5.3-1        core shared data for all KDE applications
ii  kdelibs4-dev                  3.5.3-1        development files for the KDE core libraries
ii  kdelibs4c2a                   3.5.3-1        core libraries and binaries for all KDE appl
ii  kdemultimedia                 3.5.3-1        multimedia apps from the official KDE releas
ii  kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data 3.5.3-1        multimedia data for kappfinder
ii  kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins   3.5.3-1        au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile
ii  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins     3.5.3-1        enables the browsing of audio CDs under Konq
ii  kdenetwork                    3.5.3-1        network-related apps from the official KDE r
ii  kdenetwork-filesharing        3.5.3-1        network filesharing configuration module for
ii  kdenetwork-kfile-plugins      3.5.3-1        torrent metainfo plugin for KDE
ii  kdepasswd                     3.5.3-1        password changer for KDE
ii  kdeprint                      3.5.3-1        print system for KDE
ii  kdesktop                      3.5.3-1        miscellaneous binaries and files for the KDE
ii  kwin                          3.5.3-1        the KDE window manager

The rest of my KDE packages are still at version 3.5.2. With this
combination I do not observe the problems that you have.

You might also want to check out ~/.xsession-errors or run kcontrol from
a terminal window to see if there are any meaningful error messages when
you try to activate multiple desktops.

--
Regards,
          Florian