Re: aRts crashes playing streams

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> mandag 15 maj 2006 19:32 skrev Derek Broughton:
>
>> > So, as this remains undenied even on this kde-list and is covered by my
>> > experiences. I have to believe it ;-)
>>
>> It just didn't rate a response.  There may be better sound daemons, but
>> _sound_ is basically crap if you don't use one of them.  I'll stick to
>> arts.
>
> Please elaborate. Alsa does hardware mixing and as far as I know it
> emulates it pretty good on sound cards that doesn't support hardware
> mixing. I don't see how you need anything else.

All I know is that if I enable ALSA in KDE directly (integrated I810 sound),
sooner or later something can't play.  If I use arts, everything plays
nice.  I don't find it to be using that much of my cpu, but perhaps that's
because I don't use the computer to play sound in the background - if it's
doing audio or video (except for system notifications), I'm highly unlikely
to be doing anything else.
--
derek