Re: kdm/xorg7 Xsession issue?

On Friday 05 May 2006 10:31, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today, logins to kdm failed... after typing in user/pw and hitting login,
> the login screen reappeared (for all users). No hints in /var/log. After
> doing all of the well known work-arounds I found the problem:
>
> /etc/kd3/kdm/Xsession sources /etc/X11/Xsession in it's last line.
> This failed cause I removed /etc/X11/Xsession a long time ago. I did this
> because I somewhere found a hint/message to do so, because
> /etc/X11/Xsession has been replaced by /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession.
>
> So something changed with xorg7 regarding Xsession? Or did I really
> mistook something which convinced me to remove /etc/X11/Xsession?
> Should I put this into the wiki?

You indeed mistook something, and shouldn't remove /etc/X11/Xsession.
The last 2 lines of /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession (on my system) read

  # invoke global X session script
  . /etc/X11/Xsession

-> it looks like kdm want some extra stuff done in Xsession, but reuses the
   global Xsession stuff
-> even if kdm didn't include the above 2 lines you shouldn't
   remove /etc/X11/Xession, as that file would still be used when you start
   X through another means then kdm (e.g. by running startx from the command
   line)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)