how to instal libgtk2.0-dev without upgrading to xorg7?

hi - i got a brand-new install of kanotix and a matrox G550.
I got the driver installed and running fine with the version of xorg
that came with kanotix 2005-04, but now I want to install
libgtk2.0-dev, and my attempt to do this is causing apt to want to
upgrade xorg7.

I tried it once, and broke my apt-system. I'm also worried about it
breaking my video driver. Has anyone gotten the latest xorg7 working
with dual head matrox drivers?

Is there a way I can install libgtk2.0-dev (all the -dev packages that
it depends on) for my current version of xorg, without upgrading x11?