newbe: problem logging in with kdm on etch

Howdy,

I'm a bit new to kde, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I've
searched the archives a bit but could find nothing.

I'm running kdm on etch, but when I try to log in, it just returns me,
after a bit, to the kdm login screen again.  I don't seem to know how to
debug the problem.  I'm getting this message in kdm.log:

Apr 26 15:55:15 localhost kdm_greet[6781]: Can't open default user face

everytime, but I don't know what it means or how to correct it.
There's nothing in auth.log or daemon.log.  I can log into the same
account via ssh or console.

I just did an install of sarge and immediately upgraded to etch without
ever even starting X.  I think I may have every last kde package
installed but I can't be sure ~:^)

Please cc me as I'm not on this list.  Yet.

TIA,