spelling in kate

Dear all,

I often use kate for editing. Everything works fine except the spell-checker.
I use Ispell and it works perfectly with kwrite but not in kate and this is
strange. I grep'ed the config files for 'spell' but there was no match. I
always get the error:

  The spelling program could not be started. Please make sure you have
  set the correct spelling program and that it is properly configured and in
  your PATH.

I found some bug-reports that all pointed to ispell problems of a missing
dictionary. But ispell runs as charm with kmail and all other programs. I
only have trouble with kate.

So now I'm a bit lost on what to do. Has anybody had the same problem and
found a solution?

Best,

Rigo