Re: kde's keyboard icon

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 08:18, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> I'm running KDE 3.5.1 on a Debian Etch 2.6.15-i686 box. I have
> configured two keyboards and get the normal flag icon on the
> right-hand side of the panel on the bottom of the screen.
> However, for reasons that appear to be random, about 1 time in
> 20 the flag-keyboard icon appears in the extreme
> upper-left-hand corner of the screen. I am not complaining. I
> find this brilliant. It also has an "always on top" attribute
> that means that if I'm using, say, a full-screen wordprocessor
> I can easily change my keyboard. I use the "hide" feature on
> the lower panel. What I'd like to know is that is this
> feature/bug configurable? Can I get the flag to always be in
> the upper-left-hand corner? I haven't found anything in the
> normal configuration options that allows me to do that. I
> notice that whenever I end a KDE session as the screen goes
> blank the icon briefly appears in that position (upper left
> hand). It's a strange situation but a wonderful KDE feature if
> I could get it to work that way all the time. Thanks for any

This has been happening to me as well. I would say it's rather a
bug than a feature. The keyboard icon should normally be in the
system tray. This is what I do when the icon appears in the
upper-left corner after login:

1) Right-click the icon and select "Configure..."

2) Uncheck "Enable keyboard layouts" and click "Apply" (the icon
disappears)

3) Check "Enable keyboard layouts" again and click "Apply" (the
icon appears in the system tray)

--
Dmitri