Re: new KDE login does not work

I had exactly this problem (though in my case the behaviour was intermittant).

The problem is caused by using old kdm config with a newer kdm (I think the
point at which some major changes occurred was 3.4). I'm not sure exactly
what config item was to blame for this behaviour, I didn't have the patience
to try changing things to see what fixed the problem (esp. as the problem
didn't always occur anyway), so my "solution" was to purge the kdm package
and then reinstall.

Hope this helps.