Re: new KDE login does not work

High Michael,

> > after a huge update two weeks ago I can no longer login using the KDE
> > login screen when kdm starts immediately. When I type any character, the
> > Dialog window shortly freezes, but the character does not appear on the
> > dialog. Simply typing blindly does not work. It is a kde or kdm problem.
> > Using simple text mode I can login. However, if I start in text mode and
> > then start kdm, it works as usual.
>
> Are you sure the dialog is really freezing?
>
> What I've seen is KDM is working, graphically.  You can mouse around, click
> on icons, etc., but you can't type your password.  Everything is working
> normally except you can't log in because you can't type your password.

Yes, your description is correct. The Dialog does not freeze, but it does not
accept any character, neither user name nor password. I can even use the combo
box and select a restart of the KDM or to shut the computer down. But I
cannot login.

Because everything works fine when I add "exit 0" at the start of
the /etc/init.d/kdm and then call "kdm" after logging in in the text mode,
it should be a minor setting problem. However, it is an annoying one.

> I have wrestled with this phenomenon I've described off an on for some
> time. The problem is that KDM is on one virtual terminal, but the keyboard
> is attached to another one (I think tty2 for some reason.)  You can't even
> switch virtual desktops in this situation, because nothing hears the
> Ctrl+Alt+Fx.  The only thing to do is ssh in from somewhere else and kill
> KDM.  Restarting it, it works normally.

This sounds like something should be changed in the /etc/init.d/kdm.

> For months I just chmod -x /etc/init.d/kdm to prevent getting into this
> predicament.  I did solve it once, which is why I remember what the root
> cause of the trouble was, but I don't remember how I fixed it, and I have
> no idea how I wound back up at that same spot again later on.

Thats a pity :-(

thank your for sharing your experience,

all the best
Eberhard