Re: Knode, mbox, Kmail

pol wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I'm not sure why you're committed to mbox - especially since you talk
>> about IMAP.
>
> Well, i am accustomed to mbox; moreover sometimes it happens to check mail
> folders without the imap server (i am using dovecot)

Yeah, but you don't _need_ an imap server to access Maildirs, and they're
safer.

>> It is not safe to have multiple programs processing an mbox file.
>
> Do you mean that concurrent access is not managed properly by the imap
> server?

You have to have at least two programs access the mbox file - you have an
MTA/MDA and a client (either a mail program directly, or an IMAP server)
and you have to trust that those two will cooperate nicely, but you're just
asking for trouble if you start adding other more programs to the mix.

>>> As an alternative solution, would it be safe to symbolic-link folders
>>> shared by kmail and thunderbird (through the imap server)
>>> to   .kde/share/apps/knode/folders ?
>> Definitely not if they're mbox.
>
> So are you suggesting to switch to maildir?

Yes! I guess I might have been a little vague on that :-)

>> Interestingly, yes.  I just copied a newsgroup message into my IMAP
>> inbox,
>> and opened it with KMail.  No problem.  So, you certainly could manually
>> copy messages to a KNode local folder - which is mbox - then either read
>> that file into KMail or move it directly to an IMAP server that handles
>> mbox files (dovecot does, I'm told).
>>

> So, shouldn't be the same as linking an mbox file handled by dovecot to
> the knode local folder?

I really, really, think _linking_ an dovecot mbox to the knode folder is
asking for trouble.  Just copy the whole file.

--
derek