too thin, over-antialiased fonts...

I just got rid of five years of cruft with a fresh install.  The Etch ISO I
tried booted with no modules, so I threw in a Sarge net install ISO,
installed a minimal system, then dist-upgraded to current Sid, which is only
a little more recent than the Sid I was running before (I hadn't upgraded to
KDE 3.5.1 yet.)  It all went pretty well, but my fonts look terrible.
They're all markedly too thin, and this is most particularly evident with the
letter X, which is so heavily antialiased that it looks like a lowercase x
floating above the line.

I moved my old /home and copied some files for CUPS, xorg.conf, and vim from
my old /etc directory, but this is otherwise a clean new install with all
stock configs.

I've seen this problem before, and solved it, but I can't remember what I did.
My user settings seem just like I left them.  Same fonts, same antialiasing
settings, no surprises here.  But everything looks completely different.

Did I miss installing something maybe?

I guess I could try creating a new user with stock stuff from /etc/skel and
see if something magic happens, but this doesn't feel like KDE config cruft.
It feels like I just forgot about some handy trick I employed to fix this
last time.

--
D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/