Re: Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

John O'Hagan wrote:
Hi, I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs, accompanied by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC): "Could not launch kdeinit. Check your installation".

Pressing OK on this box allows KDE to start normally except for the absence of the klaptop power monitor (and maybe other things I haven't found yet).

An instance of kdeinit is actually running, owned by my normal user.

Should there be another instance for root?

Where should I look for the cause of this minor annoyance?

Check out this thread on debian-user:
You may be experiencing the same problem. (And maybe the same solution
will work for you...)

Regards,
           Florian