Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> Tirsdag 14 februar 2006 14:22 skrev Derek Broughton:
>> I can't figure out where the media entries come from - I have far more
>> partitions than are shown (though the others are all LVM), but I can
>> rename the entries in media: (the "music" one used to have another name).
>
> System:/media just shows the root files in the Media:/ ioslave.
>
> They are a combination of entries from /etc/fstab and hal. My guess is
> that whatever the files are that you are seeing, they are being reported
> by hal.
>
> I know this is not really a sollution, but perhaps you can find out why
> hal is reporting these files.

Actually, I doubt it's got _anything_ to do with fstab, but I could be
wrong.  All of these devices _are_ reported by hal (kde-hal-device-manager
is useful), except that the partition now shown as "music" in media: is
shown as "root" by hal - this is also correct, as I think that partition
was once another Linux installation.  What I can't figure out is why it's
being treated differently from the other two partitions shown.  They show
as mounted, "music" does not, though attempting to mount it tells me it's
already mounted.

The whole hal/udev business was implemented with _way_ too little available
documentation.
--
derek