Re: KDE and Hardware detection

Jérôme Marant wrote:
Hi Florian,

see here, steps 1) - 3):

For unstable and KDE 3.5 you need "dbus" instead of "dbus-1".

Also make sure that you have upgraded to the current version of both
udev (0.084-1) and hal/libhal1 (0.5.6-2).

This should get you an icon on the Desktop whenever you insert a USB
stick or a CD. Further automatic actions, such as "Open in New Window"
or "Play" (audio CD) can be configured in "K-Menu > Control Center >
Peripherals > Storage Media". (If everything works properly you will be
prompted for a default action when you insert a given media type for the
first time.)

Thank you very much! It worked just fine.  Nonetheless, I had to
reboot in order to get it work after many attempts; there must
be a reason.

Hi Jérôme,

Maybe that was because dbus, hal and udev had to be restarted. These
services are stopped and restarted automatically when they themselves
are upgraded, but I am not sure if, for example, a udev upgrade also
restarts dbus and hal. This might screw things up.

You should not have to reboot, though; you can always run (as root)
"udevsynthesize" to reread the udev rules, and "invoke-rc.d dbus" to
restart dbus and hal. This is also the first step in troubleshooting, as
it will (hopefully) give you meaningful error messages if things go wrong.

Regards,
          Florian