Re: American keyboard

Geoff Bagley wrote:
> There are indeed packages available to do this, but by editing or
> changing individual keys.
> Surely there is  still a correct UK English  locale with the appropriate
> keymap still ?
>
> I wonder how bilingual people get on.  Can they switch between differing
> alphabets ?

There are two methods (being a Czech student living in Boston, MA, I have a
lot of experience with i10n issues :-)). First, the old Unix method --
"edit configuration file". In this case, it is /etc/X11/xorg.conf and one
of the sections "InputDevice" looks like this (line broken for this
message) for Czech/US keyboard:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "cz,us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:caps,ctrl:ctrl_aa,\
lv3:ralt_switch,grp_led:scroll,grp:shifts_toggle"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "qwerty,"
EndSection

Documentation for this is in /etc/X11/xkb/README.config.

Then there is KDE-way. Go to Control Center/Regional &
Accessibility/Keyboard Layout and switch on keyboard layouts and then set
up your keyboard as you wish.

Best,

Mat?j

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying
I approved of it.
      -- Mark Twain