Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

Larry Garfield wrote:

> And yes, real documentation on what the current recommended setup is this
> week to make removable media work in Linux in a way that's not 30 years
> out of date is extremely lacking.  It wasn't that long ago thot hotplug
> was The Answer.  It's not a Debian-specific problem, it's just that Sid
> doesn't have a "do it this way and shaddup" pre-configured setup the way
> Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva/Kubuntu do so we notice it more when the mood changes
> this week.

If it makes you feel better, Kubuntu (my distro of choice) isn't documenting
this any better _or_ giving you a better pre-configured setup.  It might
(and I think probably does) work out of the box with a fresh install, but
there's a ton of people having trouble with it right now (yesterday I
completely lost the ability to mount a usb stick - not an automounting
problem, because it doesn't even generate a kernel message).
--
derek