Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

Martin,

That thread was actually just being discussed over the past week, and some
of us still have trouble. :-)  As near as I can figure:

1) You want a very recent kernel (2.6.12 or later, I think), udev, hal,
and pmount.

2) You do NOT want usbmount or hotplug, as those are deprecated despite
still being in the archive and installing without complaining.

3) You do want to wait a few days for the latest version of udev to get
checked in and become available, as it fixes a bug that keeps it from
working with USB drives. :-)

At least that's my understanding, and I hope that waiting a few days will
finally get my <expletive deleted> USB card reader to work.

To be fair, since you're writing an article, this is what happens when you
run a devel edition of a distro.  Sid, Mandriva Cooker, Red Hat Rawhide
(or whatever the call it), I suspect you'd get similar "here today, gone
tomorrow" issues with any of them.

And yes, real documentation on what the current recommended setup is this
week to make removable media work in Linux in a way that's not 30 years
out of date is extremely lacking.  It wasn't that long ago thot hotplug
was The Answer.  It's not a Debian-specific problem, it's just that Sid
doesn't have a "do it this way and shaddup" pre-configured setup the way
Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva/Kubuntu do so we notice it more when the mood changes
this week.

--Larry Garfield