Re: laptop performance

> On Friday 30 December 2005 07:59, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>> I have two laptops:

>> 1) Compaq Presario 2203 AL
>> Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
>> RAM: 768 MB
>> Video: Intel OnBoard with 32 Mb Shared Memory

>> 2) Dell D600
>> Processor: Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
>> RAM: 512 MB
>> Video: ATI Radeon R250 FireGL 9000

>> I run KDE on both the laptops. Even though I have 768 MB of RAM on
>> the Compaq laptop I get lower performance on it compared to the
>> Dell  laptop. Disk reads are slower than the Dell D600 laptop.

The Compaq is 500 Mhz slower, uses an inferior, onboard video chipset
that uses system RAM for video RAM (passing video data across the very
slow system bus), and you wonder why it's slower in KDE?

You could put 4 GB of RAM in that puppy and it will never run as fast
as the Dell.  RAM is not your issue.  A slower CPU and a crappy video
setup is.  (Not to mention its a Compaq Presario, which guarantees
it'll be dead in 12 months.)

Basic common sense would have come in handy.  :)
--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]