Re: KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

On Saturday 31 December 2005 11:50, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> im using Unicode fonts on KDE 3.4.3. I've got a lot of "ttf-*"
> packages installed, chinese (simplified, traditional), korean and so
> on. Though Mozilla-Firebird shows all non-latin content without
> problems, KDE won't show certain characters, dependant on what fonts
> are
> installed.
> What is different in KDE font handling and where can I find more
> information to solve my display problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for every possible hint. Please cc me in answers.

Well, none of the CJK fonts has _all_ CJK glyphs included, only those
which are necessary to display the specific script.
Apps like Mozilla and also Gnome use fontconfig to decide from which
fonts the 'missing' glyphs should be taken.

AFAIK qt apps don't use fontconfig, or the font selection process
doesn't work correctly. Anyways, it doesn't work properly.
The ttf-arphic-uming and ttf-arphic-ukai fonts contain more glyphs, but
not all CJK glyphs yet. They are suitable for displaying simpl. and
trad. Chinese (incl. HKSCS-2004), but not yet Japanese or Korean. I'm
working on it.

However, I fear that you would have to choose your font explicitely for
now.

Any other folks who can give some hints?

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <arne@linux.org.tw>