KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

Hi,

im using Unicode fonts on KDE 3.4.3. I've got a lot of "ttf-*" packages
installed, chinese (simplified, traditional), korean and so on. Though
Mozilla-Firebird shows all non-latin content without problems, KDE won't
show certain characters, dependant on what fonts are
installed.
What is different in KDE font handling and where can I find more
information to solve my display problem?

Thanks in advance for every possible hint. Please cc me in answers.

Christoph Burgmer