laptop performance

Hi,

I have two laptops:

1) Compaq Presario 2203 AL
Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
RAM: 768 MB
Video: Intel OnBoard with 32 Mb Shared Memory

2) Dell D600
Processor: Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 512 MB
Video: ATI Radeon R250 FireGL 9000

I run KDE on both the laptops. Even though I have 768 MB of RAM on the
Compaq laptop I get lower performance on it compared to the Dell laptop.
Disk reads are slower than the Dell D600 laptop.

Here are hdparm results:

Compaq:
hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
        Timing cached reads:    1932 MB in 2.00 seconds = 965.18 MB/sec
        Timing buffered disk reads:     70 MB in 3.05 seconds = 22.95 MB/sec ( Round
figure for it could be around 25 MB/sec)

Dell:
hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
        Timing cached reads:   1832 MB in  2.00 seconds = 914.77 MB/sec
        Timing buffered disk reads:  100 MB in  3.03 seconds =  33.05 MB/sec
( Round figure for it could be around 32 MB/sec)

Even the system responsiveness on the Compaq laptop is sluggish.
Does VGA play a _major_ role in system performance ?
Is there anyway I can improve the performance on the Compaq laptop ?

Regards,

rrs
- --
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT -- http://www.researchut.com
"Stealing logics from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is
research."
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Note: Please CC me. I'm not subscribed to the list