Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

>> > Is this one of those "important but never mentioned" utilities?
>>
>> If you happen to ignore the Recommends: field of the package then
>> yes, it was never mentioned.
>
> Ok, got it. Thanks.
>
> No, I don't ignore them, I tend to follow whatever dselect
> automatically selects then add as different tools are pointed out.
>
> So, another tool. Done.
>
> The fonts still don't show up in the xlsfonts list.

These days most application use client-side fonts via fontconfig.
To make fonts available server-side (so old-style applications like xlsfonts
see them), you should add font directories to X Font Path, and each
directory should have appropriate fonts.dir file.

In debian, things that created those for ttf and cid fonts are automated.
You should just have x-ttcidfont-conf installed, and
add /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType to the font path (in
your xfs config, or in X server config, or manually with xset +fp)