Re: KDE and IPv6

* Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> [2005 Nov 07 16:44 -0600]:
> On Monday 07 November 2005 22:34, Curt Howland wrote:
> > On Monday 07 November 2005 16:21, Kevin Krammer was heard to say:
> > > did you write
> > > ftp://::192:168:1:20/
> >
> > Actually, what I wrote was ftp://corwin6/
> >
> > With /etc/hosts:
> > ::192:168:1:20 corwin6
> >
> > But I also did try the addressing as you suggest. No difference.
>
> Hmm.
>
> > > Googling brought some URLs in this form
> > > ftp://[::192:168:1:20]/
> >
> > Let me see... Nope. "could not connect to host ::192:168:1:20"
>
> Yeah, sorry.
> IPv& addresses are in hexadecimal notation, so this is a very different
> host ;)
>
> I think a valid appreviation is
> ::192.168.1.20
> some kind compatability mode
>
> or
> ::C0A8:0114

Well, ipv6calc shows me:

ipv6calc --ipv4_to_6to4addr 192.168.1.20
2002:c0a8:114::

Not that I understand IPV4 to IPV6 conversion or anything, but I'm not
sure if the 2002 at the head of the output is significant or the double
colons at the tail.

I wonder if IPV6 is going to actually happen.  I read somewhere in the
past couple of days (might have been a Slashdot post :-/ ) that IPV6 is
"overkill" and some are proposing a reassignment of sorts for IPV4
addresses.  Personally, I like the dotted quad notation of IPV4 over
the MAC address like format of IPV6 and I'm still getting used to
seeing adjaceant colons.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of