Re: Safe to upgrade my KDE 3.3.2 to v3.4? [startx doesn't work -- freezes OR "xinit: Server error"

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:59:55AM +0200, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> On Sunday 09 October 2005 08:58, Phillip Pi wrote:
> > >
> > > You've to upgrade to Xorg too (at least xserver-xorg).
> >
> > Ahhh! Isn't Xorg completely different from X11 or is that just a new
> > name but still the same thing?
>
> It's a fork of XFree86 4.3.xxx so it's more or less the same.

Ah.

> > I wonder why apt-get distupgrade
> > didn't see that dependency if I needed it. Weird.
>
> Do you've x-window-system (-core) installed? It depends on xserver-org.

Currently, no:

# apt-get install x-window-system
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  lbxproxy libglu1-xorg libxdmcp6 proxymngr twm x-window-system-core xdm xfs xfwp xnest xprint
xprint-common xserver-common
  xserver-xorg xterm xvfb
Suggested packages:
  libglide2 xfonts-cyrillic
Recommended packages:
  discover xresprobe
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xlibmesa-glu xlibmesa-glu-dev xserver-xfree86
  lbxproxy libglu1-xorg libxdmcp6 proxymngr twm x-window-system x-window-system-core xdm xfs
xfwp xnest xprint xprint-common
  xserver-xorg xterm xvfb
  xserver-common
1 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.1MB of archives.
After unpacking 18.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

# apt-get install x-window-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package x-window-core

Do I need this x-window-system? I noticed apt-get wants to remove xlibmesa-glu packages. Isn't
this for 3D stuff like in xscreensavers (not KDE's screen savers), games, etc.?
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
  /\___/\
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net or ant@zimage.com
    ( )