Re: kmail corrupts emails [solved]

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Pete Jewell wrote:
>

>>However, ReiserFS is *much* more efficient when you have thousands of
>>files in one directory, because it uses a hashing algorithm to determine
>>where the required file is (or starts) in the filesystem.  This is
>>something I know about (hashing) based on my experience with Pick
>>database systems, which also use hashing and are incredibly fast at
>>keyed record retrieval (as well as entire file/table traversal).
>

> There's a blast from the past.  I did too much work with Pick databases... I
> managed not to learn anything more about hashing, too.

There's no such thing as /too much work with Pick databases/ ;-)

Actually, the company I work for are just about to start a pilot of a
system that will replace the D3 one I maintain.  If all goes well it'll
get turned off in a couple of years.  To be honest I'm looking forward
to cross-training onto the new system - Pick permanent jobs are becoming
harder and harder to come by (not to mention having to travel - I do a
150 mile round trip each day to get to work and back).  Contract work is
a little easier to find (lots of tending existing systems, while they're
being replaced!).

That being said I still really enjoy working in Pick - you can go from
the client's initial idea to something tangible so quickly, they think
that you're some sort of genius (considering how long it takes their
requests to get actioned on the SQL backed systems!) :-)

--
PeteJ