Re: Automounting experiments

Derek Broughton schrieb:
Bellegarde Cedric wrote:
Roman Kreisel wrote:
And no, afaik, hotplug is _not_ obsolete.
hotplug is obsolete, udev is now the good way to do (and not hal):

Oh great, even the experts disagree... I gleaned my clip on "obsolete hotplug" from an article about SuSE 10.0 in LinuxUser (German magazine).

udev, in mandriva(2006), now do hotplug job.

I can't see how.  Hotplug inserts the modules required by a device - I see
nothing in udev that's going to do that.  hal is a _very_ good way to
enable automounting (amongst other things) - it doesn't mount anything, but
then neither does udev.

hal seems to depend on udev, but I still havn't got a clue what all these components *really* do.

Theo Schmidt