Re: sound problem with new kernel [was: Re: usb storage problems]

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 03:53 +1000, Theo Schmidt wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2005 15.15 schrieb Derek Broughton:

> Done, but I've actually also started asking on the debian-kernel list. KDE
> can't be blamed, because other commandline tools can't even find my sound
> card, only Knoppix can. I'll let you know what it was, anyway.
>
> Theo Schmidt

I guess it comes down to what soundcard you're using, and if it's
supported with a driver in the Debian kernel.  This is the one thing
that I've always disliked about Debian kernels.  If it isn't, grab both
the src and the kernel headers for the version of the kernel that you
grabbed, and recompile it, so that it includes your drivers.  Knoppix
will typically use a kernel that's got a vast majority of drivers
enabled, so that it works, out of the box, on as many systems as
possible.  More kernel features = kernel bloat.

Dave