Re: Xine error

Curt Howland wrote:

> Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
> completely, in theory.
>
> However, just like people choosing to publish their works under
> the GPL, the hardware manufacturer may specify any limitations
> they wish. Opening the case, dropping it in water, for that
> matter dropping it at all, will all void the hardware warentee.
> They may still fix it, but they will charge me for their labors.
>
> I do not like it any more than you do, but then I didn't know
> about it until after it was purchased.

And that's precisely why governments do (and should) "interfere" in freedom
of contract.  It's one thing to have a freely entered contract, it's
something completely different when the contract is supposedly in force as
soon as you open the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
contract.
--
derek