Re: usb storage problems

Am Montag, 19. September 2005 15.15 schrieb Antonio Rodriguez:
> > Question: how can I umount (easily)? pmount doesn't have a umounting
> > option and the standard umount requires root. Right-clicking in KDE gives
> > WTTE "only
>
> Check your /etc/fstab file, and add a line containing the mounting
> point for the device where the device gets mounted, taking care of the
> fstab column where users are indicated (do cat /etc/fstab to see whats
> going on, look for the line for the floppy for clues, see info fstab)

Well, I started using pmount as suggested earlier in this thread in order to
avoid an orgy of /dev/sdxy (x=a to e, y=1 to 5) entries in fstab.

I understand what you are saying, Tony: for a known device adding the correct
line in /etc/fstab everything will work fine.

However I'm not bugging you all so thoroughly and slightly OT with this
never-ending thread just for myself: I want to know the best answer when some
beginner says: "I cannot connect my camera/USB stick." I can't tell him to
edit fstab or install hal. Pmount might just be within the capabilities of
joe_average if I can tell him how to umount the device as well. Otherwise
Derek's advice of using Kubuntu may be the only option, or wait for Etch.

Theo Schmidt