Getting latest KDE (Quanta) in testing

I've had a bunch of problems with Quanta in testing (etch), and have
learned that some of them may be solved in later versions.  So I'm
interested in running Quanta 3.4, or even the soon to be 3.5 in
testing, which is currently at KDE 3.3.

There were messages about backports recently, but they, and the Kalyxo
project it references, appear to be about backports to stable
(sarge).  Also, they concern backports of the entire KDE system; I
would prefer to get just the one package.

I believe testing has already diverged significantly from stable
because it has made, or is in the middle of, the transition to g++ 4.
So I don't think backports to stable will work for testing.

I see that 3.4 is in unstable (sid), but if I try to pull it in I will
also get lots of other sid stuff, KDE and otherwise.  If possible, I'd
like to avoid being that bleeding edge.

Does it make any sense to think about building Quanta (or other KDE
apps) in an earlier KDE environment, or is that just a bad idea?

Any recommendations about how best to proceed?  Basically, my goal is
to get a cutting edge Quanta with minimal necessary disruption to the
rest of the system.

Thanks.

Ross Boylan

P.S.  I've seen some references to the Kalyxo project having changed
it's name.  Not sure what's that about, and don't see mention of it at
http://kalyxo.mornfall.net/.

My problems with Quanta have included being confused by the choices in
the new project wizard, some of which apparently have been eliminated,
and being unable to up or download sites via ftp, which may be some
general kio issue.