Re: backports of latest kde to stable 3.1?

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 21.14 schrieb C. Hurschler:
> I'm curious as to the advantages of running a backported version to haveing
> a mixed system with KDE at Sid level.  Is there any technical reason not to
> use a mixed system?
SID will deviate from Sarge further and further, and with the gcc transition
there already are Library incompatibilities, which may cause real headaches
later on.

Generally running mixed environments works, as long as the two dists don'Ät
deviate too far from each other. Stable + Etch or SID should genrally be
avoided in my opinion. That just causes more problems than it is worth in the
long run. Combining Etch (testing) with SID (unstable) is simpler, as long
one doesn't "flood" the testing system with SID packages.

As often the answer is more like "it depends" than a general resolution ;-)

Patrick
--
Patrick Dreker

GPG KeyID  : 0xFCC2F7A7 (Patrick Dreker)
Fingerprint: 7A21 FC7F 707A C498 F370  1008 7044 66DA FCC2 F7A7
Key available from keyservers