"dropouts" when playing multimedia

Hello,

I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has cropped
up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are brief
pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine.

There is no problem if I use the Gnome desktop. I guess I will be switching to
Gnome for now because I cannot figure out what is causing this. If anyone has
a better suggestion or knows anything about the problem, please get back.

Thanks in advance,
James