Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

* Jan De Luyck <ml@kcore.org> [2005 Sep 07 13:03 -0500]:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2005 19:40, Sven Krahn wrote:
> > Hi Nate -
> >
> > > I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
> > > dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
> > > insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
> > > desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
> > > interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
> > > here.
> >
> > just recently I figured that out for myself and documented it for my files.
> > Have a look here:
> > http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_debian/ar01s03.html#d0e659
> >
> > Based on hal, udev, and hotplugging I use the usb-storage script of hotplug
> > to copy the icons on my Desktop (on plugin of camera, stick etc.) and
> > remove the icon upon unplug. This even allows me to display different
> > icons, e.g. camera, USB stick, external drive.
>
> Weird. I didn't have to do any of this - i just have the packages installed
> (hal/udev/dbus/...) and KDE automagically pops up an icon if i plug in my
> stick, and removes it when i remove it.

Jan, did you have an earlier version of KDE installed?  Or did you just
install it from the 3.4.2 packages within the past day or so?  I wonder
if there is some configuration issue here.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"