Re: keeping passwords

Graham Smith wrote:

> I was wondering if KDE has the ability to keep passwords for longer than
> the current session / log in. The keep password feature (when running an
> application as a different user) doesn't work as I would have excepted it
> to as it only keeps the password for the duration of the login.

It does?   It never seemed to work for me, so I stopped using it.

> For instance, I use synaptic to update my desktop machine. I would like to
> have the ability to supply the root password just once and have it
> remembered indefinitely.

There must be a better way.  For sudo, it's better to modify /etc/sudoers
like mine:

derek   ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/aptitude, /sbin/ifconfig

Which lets me use aptitude and ifconfig without ever giving a password.
However, adding /usr/bin/kpackage to the list, and then invoking it with
kdesu still prompts.
--
derek