Re: Automounter in KDE

On Thursday 11 August 2005 07:38 pm, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Larry Garfield wrote:
> > False.  Single-user means a single security space.  One key reason that
> > Windows is historically so insecure is that it's a single security space,
> > and programs are written to assume that so you really can't operate any
> > other way.
>
> While that's true, it puts the lie to the quoted FAQ's reason about why you
> shouldn't just be able to eject a CD.  If you only need multi-user to
> separate security spaces, there's no reason not to let just anybody eject
> the CD.

To put the blame once again on the kernel dev team (not that I dislike them, I
just think they're way off when it comes to removable media), limiting who
can change the hardware configuration of the system is not an unreasonable
thing from a security standpoint.  That was doubly true when all mounted
devices were hard drives, network shares, or core memory.  We've still not
figured out how to make multi-user work with removable media in general. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson