Re: Automounter in KDE

Am Dienstag, 9. August 2005 20.45 schrieb Tony Godshall:
> How about mount-on-demand?
> I find it best to mount writable removables with -o sync.
> That way apps finish saving when they appear to finish saving,
> which limits damage by novice users and dont-care-about-the-
> technical-details users and old-hand-who-just-forgot users.
>
> The union of the above sets of users, oddly, appears to encompass
> the majority of the population (;-)).

It certainly includes me. I am rather confused about the apparently happening
transition from manual mounting to automounting in Linux. I would like to
have a system where either everything is mounted and umounted manually or
everything is automatically and *reliably* mounted and umounted (like the old
Macintosh System with SCSI). I'm using Sarge and it doesn't automatically
mount USB devices when you plug them in and I can manually mount some
devices, but not others (I would happily enrole in any "I hate USB" club).
I've tried SuSE 9.1: this is dreadful, automatically but unreliably mounting
stuff unter strange names and leaving old zombie folders about in /mnt.

This has been a long thread which has left me none the wiser. Could somebody
sum up the present conclusions or point to an easy-to-understand resource on
present KDE, Debian or Linux mounting philosophy?

Theo Schmidt