Re: AOL for Debian

Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 11:50 am, Olaf wrote:
You can't get the AOL Instant Messenger for Debian.

Actually, you can. There IS an offical AOL IM client for linux:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=

There are even Debian-specific installation instructions.

I did that and that is how I got into the situation I was in.  I tried to

1) Click the deb for Debian 3 or higher
2) Garbage came up on the screen
3) Did Save Page As... and saved it
4) Did (as root) dpkg -i <packagename.deb>
5) Got errors stating it was not a binary package so it wouldn't work.

Then I did what it also suggested if I had problems by right clicking it and came up with a file linker.js NOT the .deb file as I thought I would get.

Thanks