Re: Hewlett-Packard package conflicts

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>
> > Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 06:18 schrieb Gayle Lee Fairless:
> >> Gcomm:/home/gayle/drivers/hplip# dpkg --force-conflicts -i hplip*.deb
> >>
> >> I found out that I had to force it.
> >
> > Actually, the "force-conflicts" was the wrong way :-(
> > It's easier and cleaner to edit the debian/control file and remove the
> > faulty conflict. If not, some tools (aptitude?) might automatically remove
> > one of them.
>
> Easier?  In the first case, you use dpkg (I always use --force-all, since by
> this point you know there are no other errors - and I can never remember
> which "force" option it is) and cut and paste the .deb name from the error
> in apt-get/aptitude.  In the latter, you have to edit a control file
> (correctly).  I'm sure it's cleaner, but I've never yet encountered a
> situation where simply forcing a conflict didn't work.

	Actually I had edited the debian/control file with the suggested
stream editor command (sed ...).  Otherwise, it would not have built the
package.  When I tried the dpkg -i hplip*.deb command, it insisted that I
be root (which I did) and then refused to install due to conflict with
hpoj.  So I repeated with the --force-conflicts option before the action
of -i (install) as documented on the man dpkg page.

	I still have to add both printers (parallel HP 697C and usb HP psc
1210) to the system.  I had the parallel printer working under woody.  Now
only the 'lpr -l <dostext file>' will work.  I still need to get into CUPS
or the printer wizard to update the printers.