Re: Upgrading KDE and it's dependencies

On Friday 08 July 2005 09:11, Theo Schmidt wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 05.45 schrieb Bob Proulx:
>
> > Just the same, I can't see any documentation that says
> > mixing apt-get and aptitude is bad...
>
> Any thoughts on using concurrently apt-get, synaptic, and
> kpackage? I had always thought that these use the same
> database so that each would be aware of the changes of the
> others, but perhaps this isn't so?
>
> Also, to the point of this thread: I have also experienced
> problems with installing or deinstalling KDE programs,
> especially digikam, where both aptitude and synaptic
> insisted on removing most of KDE for this. The first time I
> didn't read and it ruined KDE, the second time I quit the
> installation.

I mostly use Synaptic, but occasionally also apt-get and
KPackage. I have never experienced any problems because of
this.

FWIW, I have only done a distribution upgrade a couple of
times. I usually upgrade piecemeal on an as-needed basis.
However, when I have done it, the "Smart Upgrade" feature of
Synaptic has been able to sort out the dependency issues
without the usual lets-remove-most-of-KDE behavior that I get
if Smart Upgrade is not selected.

If Synaptic wants to remove a lot of KDE for installation of a
particular package, I assume the KDE maintainers haven't
gotten all the dependencies sorted out yet. In particular,
some needed library conflicts with one that most of KDE is
dependent on, so I wait and try later.

At least once, the only way I could get the package was through
a "Smart Upgrade."

The nice thing about Synaptic is its ease of use and the chance
to know precisely what it proposes to do __before__ committing
oneself.

It may not be suitable for a production environment, but it is
very nice for the home/small office user.

N.P.