Re: Gnome imperialism

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 03:35:48PM +0200, Rigo Wenning wrote:

> I wanted to upgrade my KDE 3.4-pre to 3.4.1. I open aptitude, update the
> packages list after having changed the sources list to alioth
> 3.4.1-location.
>
> Now I tell aptitude to upgrade and it removes ALL KDE and installs all
> Gnome. What is the magic dependency program that I have to remove to
> stop this implicit gnome imperialism? I mean Gnome/KDE should run
> together and not fight each other. Is this too difficult to express in
> the deb package-format? The message in aptitude is quit funny:
> "Packages being removed because they are no longer used"

Aptitude knows which packages were installed manually and which were
just added because of dependencies.  If this is the first time you've
used aptitude, it might be as simple as doing "aptitude install kde"
to tell it that the kde metapackage is wanted.  That will then hold the
rest of KDE in.

More probably, however, there may be some package in gnome that Conflicts
with some package in KDE.  That will then cause part of kde to be removed
as a conflict, and the rest will then be unreferenced by any dependencies
so aptitude will think they are unused.

I never use the aptiude GUI, only its command line, but I expect there
will be a way for you to see the error messages.  Look for the earliest
error, it probably holds the answer.

Nick