KDE 3.4 from source

Hi everyone,

I planning to compile KDE 3.4 on Sarge from sources and install it under /usr/local and keep the original KDE too. I have some questions about this procedure: 1) is it safe enough for stability reasons and how much chances I have to finally get a full featured and stable KDE 3.4 desktop if I going to operate this way (I new to Debian and I don’t want to overwrite the original files for the first time) without conflicts between two versions. KDE.org says it’s possible. 2) How exactly X server launch the different desktops (KDE, GNOME, etc.) under Sarge on the system-boot. I want to add the newly compiled KDE at the list of the available sessions.

I got my Sarge DVD-s only next week and I want to be ready for action. :)

Thanks in advance!