To: <debian-kde@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:31 PM
Subject: aRts can't play ogg vorbis files since 3.4.0

Ever since I upgraded to the KDE 3.4.0 packages on alioth, aRts has been
unable to play ogg vorbis files. I originally thought this was the issue with losing system notifications, but it's a problem with aRts as a whole. WAV and
MP3 files play just fine.

For example, if I run:
$ artsplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Window_Sticky.ogg

the command returns, but no sound is played.

Any app which uses aRts is affected. I can't play ogg files in noatun, amarok,
kaboodle, and so on. They play fine in XMMS.

It's not my settings, unless the defaults are broken. I created a test user and logged in as them- exact same problem. I also jacked aRts' verbosity all
the way up and started it from Konsole. It spit this out when I issued the
artsplay command:

-- snip --
UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 9
search playobject, extension = ogg
creating OGGPlayObject to play file /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Window_Sticky.ogg
outputStream created
OGGPlayObject_impl
loadMedia
OGGPlayObject_impl::getPlugin
DecoderBaseObject_impl::streamStart
play: 1
nukePlugin _STREAM_STATE_WAIT_FOR_END
xrun!!

xrun!!

(The previous message was repeated 1 times.)
-- snip --

These are the arts/ogg packages I have installed:
libarts1 1.4.1-1
libartsc0 1.4.1-1
libarts1-mpeglib 4:3.4.1-1
libarts1-audiofile 4:3.4.1-1
libogg0 1.1.2-1
libvorbis0a 1.1.0-1
libvorbisfile3 1.1.0-1
libvorbisenc2 1.1.0-1

They're all the most up-to-date, and aside from the aRts packages, are stock
sarge. I have tried purging all these packages (with --force-depends) and
reinstalling, to no avail.

I have also twiddled with every option in the Sound System control panel,
disabling each feature one-by-one. It still fails.

But here's where things get truly weird. If I decode the ogg file to WAV, aRts plays it fine. If I reencode it to MP3, it fails in exactly the same way as the original ogg. MP3s which I have ripped from my CDs play fine. Oggs ripped
from CD do not play.

So, the summary is:

- Wavs play fine all the time
- Oggs do not play at all
- MP3s play, unless they're short sound-bites like the system notifications

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm completely stumped, so any suggestions
are greatly appreciated.