Re: dist-upgrade using http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 09:03 am, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I want to install KDE 3.4 on my PC using Debian apt-get.
>
> I followed the wiki at
>
> http://wiki.debian.net/?Kde34
>
> added the line
>
> deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/ ./
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list and did a dist-upgrade.
>
> I get the following message:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
>    kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 nvidia-glx
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> The packages kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 and nvidia-glx are held back
> manually by my selections, but if I try
>
> apt-get install kdenetwork-kfile-plugins
>
> I get a message ending

>    kdenetwork-kfile-plugins: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.4.0) but
> 4:3.3.2-6 is to be installed
>
> FYI, I have done
>
> apt-get install kde
>
> and the version of the kde metapackage is 5:44.  I think my existing
> KDE installation 3.3.2 is whole and unbroken.
>
> apt-get install -tPackage: *
Pin: release a=sarge
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 70
 unstable kde

> brings the message
>
> kde is already the newest version.
>
> My /etc/apt/preferences file has the following settings:
> ********
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> ********
>
> What must I do to upgrade to KDE 3.4 on my PC?
>
> Please copy replies to my email address.

I just did this to my Sarge workstation. The only difference I see is my
preferences file, and I used deslect to do the upgrade, no warnings
though.  I only have Sarge official sources , plus the
~alioth.debian.org source line in my sources.list file.

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *