Re: KDE 3.4 conflics with Gnome 2.10

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 19:53, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) [Wed, 11 May 2005 19:33:07 +0200]:

<off-topic context="there was a CDD devcamp[1] in Valencia last week, where
I met, adeo, and lots of other Debianers">

 >   Hey cobaco! :)
hola (see I learned some Spanish :)

/me really missing the good wether from Valencia as it's raining here ;-(

</off-topic>

> > -> having this shared file owned by _any_one_ of the desktops is bound
> > to lead to endless bickering and flamewars (not to mention that it will
> > effectively force everyone to install the core of that desktop),
>
>   Yup, Christopher has already moved the file in svn,

good to hear :)

> and I'm really hoping that the GNOME packagers will move theirs too.
has anyone talked to them about it yet?

> > the right place to put this is probably the menu-xdg package, as that's
> > the package that's supposed to deal with the freedesktop menu standard
> > in Debian AIUI

hm, just realized that this is a specific case of a more general problem
we'll have more and more in  the future:
1) freedesktop standarizes certain stuff
2) different desktops come with different defaults settings for the
standarized stuff
3) defaults from different desktops now conflict when installed on the same
machine

luckily freedesktop base spec allows for different configuration sets
besides (or on top of) each other (see below)

>   This probably needs being pushed upstream, right?

I see 2 (theoretically) possible ways of pushing this upstream:
1) take defaults away from the domain of desktops into the hands of some
neutral 3th party (I really don't think that is gonna fly)
2) have upstream provide an xdg base-dir with their view on good default
settings (as far as standarized stuff goes) in some place different
then /etc/xdg and leave it up to the distribution/the admin(or distributor)
to activate any and/or all available config sets

->
Debian doesn't need to wait for upstream to do 2 above (just move anything
upstream $DE places under /etc/xdg into /usr/share/$DE/xdg-default-config
or somesuch during packaging)

needs to wait for desktop-profiles to go into Debian first though without it
there is no good standard way for the admin to control which set(s) of
defaults gets activated (in what order)

[1] see Sergio's blog at
http://mixinet.net/stoblog/debian/20050510-cdd-dev-camp for an overview of
what happened
[2] see http://developer.skolelinux.no/~cobaco/desktop-profiles (you have to
plug your own package whenever possible right? :), should enter Debian soon
now
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)